Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:21:22 EST
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stuck Lock Cylinder - Sliding Door
Comments: cc: xtabe@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 20/02/2004 2:47:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

The lock cylinder inside my sliding door handle is stuck, I think from decades of gunge slowly solidifying. I took the handle off and tried squirting the lock full of lubricants with no luck. So now I want to take out the lock cylinder to clean it up.

Bearing in mind that everything is rusted, frozen, and generally stuck, how should I try to get the lock cylinder out?

Tabe, BTDT a few times now. You will have to learn how to do this and preventative maintenance on the Vanagon locks if you want to keep driving that van in Canada. Take the handle and lock assembly and soak it in kerosene or WD40 for a few days. Eventually you will be able to remove the lock assembly which you will then need to disassemble slowly and meticulously so as to not loose the arrangement of the lock pieces. You will need to thoroughly clean all the moving little pieces, springs and cylinder. Then reassemble using dry graphite or lock lube as lubricant. Other lubricants will attract dirt and grime and eventually foul the lock. No lubricant will cause the lock to corrode quickly. A small shot of lock lubricant now and then is useful as is using the lock often to keep it active. Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 10 ~ 13, 2004 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: _Vanagon List_ (http://www.vanagon.com/) , _LiMBO_ (http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/) , _IWCCC_ (http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/) & _CCVWC_ (http://www.ccvwc.ca/) Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) or http://frankcondelli.com