Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:34:38 -0500
From:         John Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: FS : 91 Carat 4sp in SC
Comments: To: jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET

I can sympathise with Steve. We had snow in southern Virginia a couple weeks ago and it froze over night. The act of getting out of the driveway and down several of the streets until I got to the highway were nerveracking. Anything more than an extreemly light and gentle throttle completely unhooked the rear end. Letting off the throttle and I'd straighten out. Since I was only going about 10mph it was probably more annoying than dangerous, but not an experience I'd have again. The van has Michelin Agilis all the away around w/ the proper preasure. The goodyears that the PO had on this van before did excellent in these conditions, however they were not load rated and caused the van to get pushed all over the place.

Steve, I'd say keep the van and change out the tires for 4-seasons w/ a good rep, or simply drive something else if you can when the ice forms. Personally, my Carat is far too valuable for me to get rid of it for one day of icey roads a year.

john