Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:44:55 -0500
From:         Jean-Pierre Le Cruguel <jlecruguel@AEI.CA>
Subject:      For Ben: recommanded Florida campgrounds part 2 revisited (sorry
              about the mess).

cont'd

Fort Pickens Campground -- http://www.pbrla.com/ent_campftp.html

--- near Pensacola Beach ... loved it so much that we're going back this year. The appeal is absolutely fabulous beaches ---- miles of them (literally) ----- on both sides of a narrow spit.

The Gulf is on one side and Pensacola Bay is on the other. They are damn near deserted in the spring as well.

We'd park our Westy on the beach each day and take it very easy --- then a drive 2 minutes back to the campsite at night. The campground itself is OK ---- though not free.

We had a pet armadillo that would come by quite often. In the area is the Naval Aviation museum - - -

Not to be missed if you are in the Jacksonville/St. Augustine area:

http://www.gbronline.com/schneider/outback/

Out in the middle of nowhere. Shoes/shirt not required. 1500 ft. dock so you can pull your boat up to the restaurant. You can see plenty of alligators--they come right up to the dock! - - -

South Beach. The 30's era art-deco hotels and the great restaurants are only outdone by the beautiful women who walk by. - - -

There is a real neat beach on the east coast halfway between West Palm--and Stuart Fla--- No clothes required

- - -

Destin Holiday Travel Park - On the Gulf!

Destin, FL CAMPING ON THE GULF, HOLIDAY TRAVEL PARK Reservations 1-877-226-7485 or online at www.campgulf.com 10005 W. Emerald Coast Parkway Destin, FL 32550 ...9 miles East of Destin, FL ...5 miles East of the Mid-Bay Bridge ...1/4 mile East of Silver Sands Outlets ...9 miles West of HWY 331 ...3/4 mile West of Sandestin ... Look for the 70'American Flag Come and enjoy the following; ...we park everyone ...100+ modem & phone hookups ...heated pool w/dome in winter ...Rally bookings at club rates ...planned activities ...beach front sites ...new 3,500 sq.ft. activities center ...gift shop & store ...beach pavilion ...private access Also has Sandcastle Cabins: ...sleeps up to 8 ...cedar paneling ...oak laminate floors ...full bath, cable tv, phone ...microwave, stove, oven ...air conditioned, heated

Atlantic Ocean Resort - St. Augustine

#2 Choice RV Park - on the water Bryn Mawr Ocean Resort

4850 A1A South St. Augustine, FL 32080 904-471-3353 www.brynmawroceanresort.com

several hundred camping sights - same as Holiday Travel Park size just as nice!

- - -

Free camping (or nearly free--I think they charge a few bucks now but not sure): Between Naples and Miami in Tamiami Trail (US 41) in the Big Cypress National Preserve. Several campgrounds, some with, some without facilities.

Photo opps and MUST SEE's:

Anywhere in the Everglades or Big Cypress that you can get to. It is the only ecosystem of its kind in the whole world and not to be missed. You can do the "drive by" and "see" the alligators along the road, etc. Or really get down and dirty and hike in the swamp, as I do regularly. The Florida Trail is the best bet, accessible from the Oasis Visitor's Center in the Big Cypress.

Scenic Routes: Obvious US 1 through the FL Keys. Personally I also like US 17 through the Ocala National Forest.

- - -

the best of Florida are the Everglades Parcs and the Keys. If you have a Kayac, the Everglades is a must: but bring some Deet... A place call Flamingo have a camping ground not too expensive.

The Keys are also a must. Lot of places for boondocking if you are discrett.

A very nice camping is The Baya Honda Parc but at this time of year, it can be full. But you can go, put you on the waiting list, go around or the other side of the bridge, come back the day after for the "calling" and you can have a place....Key West is great for nightlife and walking around. You can find some free place to pack for the night in town if you don't popup your top for the night. Also, you can park on some Marina's parking and use the facilities if you ask politely and maybe, give a little donation to the harbor master.

Anyway, we always manage great in the Keys (there are a lot of hidden place in thoses Island to find a place to park for the night... - - -

website www.saintpetersburgtimes.com had a very good online article about US41 the Tamiami Trail and some of the history along it. Just do a little looking its still there on the website somewhere. - - - If you into tropical weather scuba diving on the only coral reef left in the US and driving a long bridge its great. I stayed at the KOA on big pine its a resort with on site bar with cheap beer like $2, cheap buffet style food $3 and free entertainment, boat rentals private beach ect best of all pooch friendly. Not cheap though but none of them are in the keys are. Lots of cool wild life and water is so blue. Also if you can cross aligator alley (runs east to west in south florida, and stop at all the boat launches you will see some gators and lots of different birds if there are no boat motors going. - - -

HOW TO EAT A MUDBUG http://www.pccomix.com/cheapthrillscuisine/CTCtips/CTCmudbug/mudbug.html

- - -

the Ocala National Forest. It's HUGE!

You'll find miles of sand roads, springs, lakes, primitive and "civilized" camping, ferry boat crossings and a real "get lost" feeling.

- - -

I did not do any Stealth camping, but looks feasible in the upper keys, may be tough in Key West. In KW, I saw a number of Westys and motorhomes that may be stealthing in a public beach/park called Higgs Beach.

Otherwise, a "campground" named Jobert's is located in the heart of the action, 2 blocks from Duvall St, 1 block from the docks in Old Town. Pricey, tho, at $70 per night.

Not being the high season, you may be able to stealth on the streets - I saw one EVC parked near the "southernmost point" that seemed to be there for several days.

Also, at the Fort [???] beach, just before you enter the State Park, there is a parking area that may be for day use only, but seemed to be a good steath site. I think it is

part of the old Navy base because it is inside the gates, past a gatehouse, but the gatehouse is unmanned and there are no signs indicating that you cannot park there.

One additional idea - I just recalled meeting a Rialta owner in KW who had stayed in the Publix Supermarket parking lot with several other motorhomes. The location is on Highway 1 soon after arriving on KW