Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:23:13 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: small car VW engine conversion

Forget the Tiico VW straight-4s. These are crude noisy harsh engines (an ancient design) with low specific power outputs.

Subaru EG/EJ series are powerful (if you stay away from the 1.6 & 1.8, apparently not available in the States), smooth and have character... GOOD character at that. They are boxers, after all.

If you want lots of power the EG33 from the Alcyone SVX is the way to go. This engine is a stretched EG22. It's better, I think, than the new 3.0 EZ30 six, and develops higher specific power despite being a lot older. At 240ho stock the EG33 is not overkill for these vans, as they have the basic handling to cope with morepower than that. I'm thinking of a belt-driven supercharger and nitrous...

The same KEP flywheel & adaptor plate fits all EG/EJ engines. A stock 12V VW starter will be plenty, no need for "upgrades" if you use a VW trans.

That VW trans... has trouble holding together with a stock VW engine. Pump lotsa ricepower through it and expect trouble, at least eventually. Porsche trans conversions are popular in Germany, especially the 1987-89 Getrag G50 trans (other years are too long in the bellhousing). The KEP kit fits both the VW & Porsche trans, by the way. The 915 trans out of a late-70s 911 is a basically sound one, but has a shift action as bad as our beloved T3 vans, can be broken (with effort) and is prone to synchro and bearing failure; the G50 is virtually bulletproof and has no problem areas and supposedly has a good shift-action. Both Porsche trans are true 5-speeds, unlike the VW 094. Both are surprisingly affordable if you look around, especially to German & Dutch wreckers. I bought my G50 from jacobi in Germany, price at the time $1200US. They accidentally sent me a 1989 G50/50 M220 trans! This has LSD and synchro into reverse.

There used to be 2 outfits making kits to fit G50s to T3s. Claer in Germany will not answer faxes. MSDS in USA promised to sell me a kit, made excuses every time I tried to order one, then eventually stopped making them. So I'm going to have to pay Neville to learn how to do it from scratch, with the aid of a few photos of scratch G50 mounts done by a listee in the US.

You can go through the wiring hell to do the electronics... or buy an aftermarket specialty management system. There is the Motech (spelling?) from Australia and the Link from NZ. I know the South Island Link distributor, who also happens to be a Subaru freak and a modifier of cars... And who, when I eventually get my a into gear (gee, how long have I been saying that??) will be doing my SVX/G50 conversion (I have 2 engines to choose from). He is: Neville Stowell <engine-performance@xtra.co.nz> He will sell a Link system complete (module, loom) for about $580US, depending on exchange rate at the time. There is a remote dash-mounted adjuster with LCD readout too, so you can set your programming on the fly, for about $172US. Want more torque or more kilowatts? Turn the knob (more likely push the buttons).

The more of the work you can do yourself, the better. Of course if you stick with the VW trans you won't have to do any fabricating or changing CVs & driveshafts. But you'll have to be prepared to be stranded far from home with a broken trans.

There is an SVXVanagon yahoo group... small and quiet, but it is off the ground now, after for the first few months seeming to have been stillborn.

Oh, T3 means "Transporter Series 3", referring to our Type 2 Transporters (Type 25 to be specific). Vanagon... yuk name! -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand 64 (3) 473-8863 <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Fossil preparator Seashell, Macintosh & VW/Toyota van nut -------------------------------------- A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation. Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Yeah, yeah, gotta get the projekt back online...