Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Feb 2004 05:34:11 EST
From:         John Carpenter <Trvlr2001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Opinions wanted for trailer option

Hi All, Just as the old bush said, "No new tax's" My motto is, "No new projects!" Now, that said, I just hope I can stick to it better than the latter! I have give the Vanagon trailer idea some thought, and We've all seen a lot of cherry ones on the net & such. I thought, a sectioned down, 'Mini Vanagon' behind a regular sized bus would be cool. But once again, my motto kicks in, and I'd rather be doin' it than spending all of my time... dreamin' about it! I am quite impressed by some of the Motorcycle trailers. Especially, if it was painted to match the bus. Some of the bigger ones, look like they'd carry about what I would need for an extended trip. Maybe Costa Rica? :) Anyone seen any of these, and are there any favorites? JC...

In a message dated 2/23/04 8:03:33 PM Mountain Standard Time, x53gunner@YAHOO.COM writes: All, I'm about to pickup an 88 Wolfsburg that's been sitting at a garage for 5-6 months. I really need the motor and a few bits and pieces but as soon as the motor is done, I'll be stripping it of 99% of it's pieces and parting out the doors, alloys, jump seats, jump seat covers, seats, fold up table, mirrors, to name the good stuff. It's pretty rough with a lot of minor rust spots and 4-5 major spots. About 3 AM last night, I awoke and the thought hit me, I'm going to have a stipped bus on my hands and what a great trailer that would make. Hmmmmm. Great, now I'm awake for 1.5 hours cause I can't stop thinking about it. The question is: Do you think it's best to make the traditional trailer out of it by ditching the front wheels and putting a hitch setup on the front (like you see with old pick up beds except I won't be cutting the van up) OR do you think I could work out some type of tow bar/draw bar arrangement. The former is great for backing up (sans surge brake) the latter has better weight capability and looks better(easier parking in the condo parking area as I'll leave the lights and stuff on it), but any trailer with 2 pivot points is damn near impossible to back up. Any thoughts or comments very much appreciated.

Thanks

TJ 87 Syncro