Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:10:27 -0500
From:         Matt Bennett <matsuwesty@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: small car VW engine conversion

I have had my 2.2L Subaru conversion for 2 years now and still love it. To do a really complete conversion will run around $1400 plus the motor (like Stan said). The Yahoo Subaruvanagon Group is a great resource for anyone interested in doing the conversion. Brian Steele of SmallCar Performance in Tacoma has quite a bit of experience in these conversions now and I've heard good things about his work. I've purchased parts from him and he's always been pleasant and professional. SmallCar and Seth from H&R (in California) both can make a harness for you if you choose not to do it yourself. The prices I've heard run around $600. I've not heard anything in regard to the quality of the harnesses, but I know both of them do quality work so I would assume it would be good. Personally, I enjoyed doing all the work myself. You know your vehicle inside and out, and there is a great sense of achievement when it's finished. The performance of the Subaru motor has to be experienced. It's well beyond what a waterboxer (even a highly tuned one) can achieve, without all the dependability problems and expense. The gas mileage in my heavily loaded Westy is always 20-22mpg whether I drive in the city or on the highway. I have to be careful not to do drive 90 mph when traveling on the highway because these motors just love to go. I have created a fairly large website about my Westfalia, and about Vanagons in general. A good portion of it goes into detail about the conversion process. If you are interested, you can view it at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~matsuwesty

I will be attending the F.A.V.O.R. (Florida Association of Vanagon OwneRs) event at Ft Desoto in Florida this coming Sunday for any of you that happen to go. My van will be there to see and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the conversion. The F.A.V.O.R. event website is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~clubvanagon

If you would like more information about that event. I hope this helps. Matt

"Life is a journey, explore each day and treasure every minute given to you"