Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:02:59 -0800
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Break-in oil
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>

I'm no expert on breaking in a new engine, so I'm only repeating what more or less what I've read from various places.

If it's a "home built" engine and never been fired up before (shouldn't be the case with an engine from AVP) then at the first fire-up of the engine (filled with non-synth oil) you immediately bring the RPM up to 2,000 and hold it there for 20 minutes. Change oil and filter and fill up with non-synth oil of appropriate weight for the local climate condition and drive the vehicle "moderately" for 300 miles or so. You want to avoid long runs at a constant speed, i.e., no long freeway trips, and you want to gently "stress" the engine with compression and deceleration. (Ideally, you like to find a not-too-long and not-too-steep hill that you could run up and down several times during this period of break-in.) Change oil again and repeat for 1,000 miles, driving the vehicle in a more "normal" fashion as the mileage progresses. Change oil once more and drive as usual 'till the next oil change: 3,000 - 5,000 miles depending on your driving habits and religion. At this point the engine should be completely broken in and ready for the switch to synth. --------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Young '81 Vanagon Lafayette, CA 94549 '82 Westfalia --------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 4:01 PM Subject: Re: Break-in oil