Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Feb 2004 04:23:25 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Steering Rack Balance Line Popping Off

Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net> said -

>That line should not be returning any fluid at all. If there is fluid in >the boots, the rack is shot. The line only moves the air from the boots >so they do not collapse or blow out as the rack moves side to side. A >knowledgeable mechanic should know how this works. It is common to most >rack and pinion set ups. The pump will eventually be damaged if allowed >to run out of fluid. > >Dennis > > >-----Original Message----- > >Volks - > >I have an '87 Westy. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a whining noise >from >the rear which got louder when I turned the wheels. The power steering >reservoir was quite low. When I filled it up, the noise went away, so I >drove about 50 miles on the highway. The noise was back, and the >reservoir >down again. > >I re-filled it, drove 50 miles home and took it to Randy, my mechanic. >He >discovered that the pressure balancing tube on the top of the PS rack >had >popped loose at one end. Thinking I might have had an odd bounce from a >chunk of ice or some other unusual occurance, he popped it back in, >refilled >and tested the system. <SNIP>

Dennis -

You are absolutely right. Randy says he just wasn't thinking when he put that back together. I ordered a new rack, boots, etc. from the Bus Depot today.

It was interesting. They quoted me $25 for 7-10 days shipping, or $133 for 3 days. Sounds like UPS gets a bit ridiculous, but I guess I'll know more when the package arrives.

Now I just hope there was no damage to the pump to cause trouble with the new rack. :-(

- Mike

Mike Finkbiner mike_l_f@hotmail.com

I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education. - Wilson Mizener

_________________________________________________________________ Find and compare great deals on Broadband access at the MSN High-Speed Marketplace. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/