Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:02:19 -0500
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: small car VW engine conversion

Bla bla bla bla....

I guess you guys don't have much else to argue about those days??? Some people made well over 250-300k with a wasser....so post like that only have negative feed back on new list member.

If an engine break at 60k it's simply because it was poorly rebuilt! Period! VW doesn't have the best engine in the world, I agree, but still, 60k on a rebuilt is not that bad.... Especially on a 20 years old van.

The problem is that you love the Westfalia design, and that design can't be found in any other car company out there.... But maybe you should consider a new van and convert this one instead on converting the engine....

I would never invest more than a few K on a Westy.

Sub, I-4 Ticco, new Wasser or whatever you chose,,,,it will still be a VW design. I like to see the mechanic face when you break down 5000 miles from home when he sees a hybrid van; you better do the conversion yourself my men.

The cheap solution!!! Buy a use or rebuilt engine for 2K, get on the road and live with the stress of driving a 20 years old van, that is part of owning a Westy.

My friend Derek is driving an I-4 conversion, and I agree, power was there... look like reliability is not to bad either.... BUT, and a big but, I am quite happy that he didn't break down when we were in Mexico.... Think about that twice before you do a conversion.

You better know every single square inch of that new engine..... nobody else will!!! Security, air bag!!!!!!!!!!!!! I drive a 73 with basically any protection in the front.... What about metal fatigue???? Driving is a risk, assume that one...

Yeap, like someone said above, we don't have airbag on Motorcycle!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanagon CAN'T handle speed over 75, they drive like shit under heavy wind condition, why would you want 200 hp?????????????????

Look at the scenery instead....

Drive safe.

Cheers, Ben http://www.benplace.com