Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:09:12 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2nd battery ??
Comments: To: Dan <william.winget@VERIZON.NET>

Using the Westy fridge relay to provide the power source to charge the second battery is not a great idea. The long wires involved as well as the many connections, can result in a low voltage that won't fully charge the second battery. BTDT

The Westy fridge relay and the rare factory second battery relay are NOT turned on by turning the key to the on position. The relays are connected to the alternator charging indicator circuit and only turn on when it appears that the alternator is charging.

The best way to connect a second battery is connect the 2 batteries together with heavy gauge battery wire of as short a run as feasible. Put a heavy duty switch or relay in between the batteries. You can mount the relay under the driver's seat along with the second battery and use the Westy fridge relay to control the battery relay.

SurePower makes a special relay device that may be the simplest and most straight forward way to wire in a second battery for a Vanagon.

http://www.surepower.com/Products/batsep.asp

SurePower also makes a battery isolator device that is not well suited to the Vanagon applications as the alternator must be modified as well as the main vehicle charging wiring harness. With the separator product you don't need to cut or splice or modify any of the stock wiring in order to add a second battery.

I recently purchased the Sure Power Model 1315 Separator to use in my remote vacation shack that has solar panels and battery banks as the only power source. It cost $70 and has several features that make it ideal for Westy use. It has capabilities that are impossible with an isolator.

The above opinions are from my experiences with adding second batteries to a dozen or more VW Vans. I have used isolators, switches, and relays at various times. I think relays are the better way to go for most owners.

Mark

Dan wrote: > > I am going to install a yellow top deep cycle optama. I have 2 questions > > 1) Can I use my exsisting fridge relay to hook up the 2nd battery ?? > > 2) if the relay is energized by turning the key to the on position, what > prevents power being drawn from the 2nd barrery and burning out the rellay > and charging wiring > > Thanks > > Dan