Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:56:34 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: gas prices.. and what they'll be this summer
Comments: To: "Daniel L. Katz" <katzd54@YAHOO.COM>

The issues of forces pushing growth of civilizations and populations and fuels to meet the needs of that growth are at it's very least complicated. France met that problem by going to nuclear power a long time ago. They basically took a survey of the various type of nuclear generators that existed at the time, and then picked one, and replicated that all over the country. They produce so much electrical power they are able to sell the excess to other nations.

The thing that forced France to go that direction was that at the time of the industrial revolution the got onto coal, and they used up all their coal reserves. With limited opportunities for Hydro Power in France, they had to do something or simply sink into oblivion as the rest of the industrial nations sped past.

France has developed their power system with few major incidents. There was no expense spared to get the nuclear plants on line. In this country, the plants were put out to the lowest bidder, a scary thought. And, it resulted in a mishmash of reactor types instead of one size fits all. The stability of a one-size-fits all works because of standardization's of construction, operation, and the use of the science. But, because of the politics involved, much of the nuclear plant growth has been stopped.

An interesting aside, when I went into the Navy in late '50's I was stationed at a special Naval facility on Chesapeake Bay that kept track of marine traffic. We also kept track of submarine traffic. To do that we has special sonar, hydrophones, and banks of mines on the bottom of the bay and could take out any submarine or ship that tried to enter the bay. After all, the biggest part of the Atlantic Fleet was based at Norfolk, VA. At the end of my second year there, an article appeared in Science and Mechanics Magazine, or Popular Science or one of those magazines. It has every detail of our operation disclosed in that magazine. The underwater, listening equipment, the sonar, the mines, the shore based facilities, the nike missile sites back in the woods, the radar. It was all there, and telling how it all worked. I was astounded.

In 1987 a article appeared in Popular Science that told of the small nuclear power plant the size - and similar shape - of a 250 gal. Propane tank. The system was of sufficient to supply all power required to heat, cool, and otherwise meet the needs of a home of a 6 person family for 15 years. All the details of the construction were there, description of the atomic power pack to fuel the system, the whole thing. Not long after that you could not find a trace of that article anywhere. It was like it never existed.

Both of these episodes make for the appearance of a conspiracy. But I found them interesting, at the least.

There are many things that drive the needs for fuels for our nation. Our increasing numbers, our increasing consumerism, the drive for profits in a capitalistic society, Manipulation of products - telling the world - such as the article on the HECB facility - to sell magazines or for what other reasons - for motivation for profit is part of the game. The disappearance of the small home atomic power plant - manipulation. Done to keep the existing markets open longer thereby avoiding the costs of upgrading. New infrastructure, new products, are costly to bring to market, and they don't produce profits until some degree of maturity in the marketplace has been reached.

But it will all catch up sooner or later. And we will all pay for the profit takers that now exist.

regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver