Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:36:15 -0500
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Flywheel seal

I don't recall the 2.1 engine oil galley plugs behind the flywheel leaking . The flywheel seal can become brittle over time and in a cold condition leak. The seals do become stuck to the case and need to be scrapped out of place this can take hours so as not to damage the seal surface. The flywheel where the seal rides must be cleaned so the seal has a chance to touch the flywheel in a way that stops the oil from slipping past. One other thing worth mentioning is that I have come across flywheel seals of different thickness ( Heights ) I can only say that if the seal in not deep enough then there is a chance that the seal will rub against the flywheel and pop out when the engine is started. I countersink the seal with the old seal going faster miles an hour I remain Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stan Wilder" <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 10:49 PM Subject: Re: Flywheel seal