Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:44:18 -0500
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      Largest Tire in Spare Tire Carrier
Comments: To: bbutler@PRODIGY.NET

Brian,

You may be thinking of a post I made last year.

Seth Hatfield (owner of H&R Motors) in Santa Barbara did a simple modification on my spare tire carrier.

This has allowed a Michelin LTX M&S LT215x75Rx15 to just barley fit while fully inflated.

I believe this tire has a diameter of 27.7"

That's the largest diameter tire that will fit because of the frame rails.

Although .... Depending on temps, barometric pressure and the position of the moon,

Once in a while it does rub slightly.

Not a big problem .... If I under inflated a bit it would never be a problem, but I don't.

I have attached some photos on the Spare Tire Carrier Modification;

Note ..... Vanagon.Com List Members

If anyone else would like a copy of the photos ... Email me directly.

As I recall, the mods include;

1. cutting the hinges off ... Turn upside down and re-weld 2. Trim the back side tin of the carrier tray ... Straight across 3. Remove the rods and discard 4. Cut the front latch assembly, weld in an extension and reattach. 5. Relieve the frame where the back hinges attach with a grinder ... Slightly.

I hope this info helps answer your question.

Larry Chase Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com Web: WWW.RoadHaus.com Cell: 408.202.1217 What: North American Road Trip How: RoadHaus - 1990 White VW Westfalia Syncro Today: Florida

- - -

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:34:34 -0800 From: Brian Butler <bbutler@PRODIGY.NET> Subject: Once again, What's the biggest tire that can fit in the STOCK spare carrier? I posted this question about a week ago and got only a few replies >>> Clipped