Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:28:44 -0800
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>
Subject:      power loss, starter problems, but nice trip anyway

First, thanks to everyone for giving me advice on my brake replacement. I really appreciate it. This is a big reason I love these old vans, the community of people that helps each other to keep them running.

Now for a short Westy story. A few months ago, I took my 1983.5 Westy out to Yosemite in the pouring rain. On the way there, I experienced power loss at speed. However, since the power loss was intermittent, I made it to the campsite okay. The rain turned to snow the next day. This was great because I got to take my family skiiing. Of course, we camped in the Westy using a Coleman powercat for interior heating. I tried a number of things at the campsite to find the source of the power loss, but I wasn't able to. Again, the problem was intermittent, so hard to trace. Me and my van in a blizzard. :-) Well, after a good day of skiing, the van wouldn't start in the morning. I tried the normal of pounding on the starter/solenoid, moving the shifter of my automatic trans, and running a jumper cable directly from the battery straight to the starter, bypassing the ignition switch system. I even tested the current of the battery, which was good and tried a jump anyway.

Well, the bottom line is that I managed to get home somehow after some hefty taps on the starter. However, it wasn't a particularly relaxing drive back knowing that there were some electrical gremlins. Note that I have the hard-start relay and a 6-month old starter in my westy already.

I checked everything and decided to get another starter from VolksCafe. I had bought the previous starter on e-Bay. When I compared the two starters, they were different. I'm thinking that the starter I bought on ebay was for a different model. I took the Westy out to Lake Sonoma for some camping in the rain again and the van was fine. So, maybe I solved the problem.

As far as the power loss goes, I traced a fuel line leak on my right fuel-rail assembly. I think that this might have been causing low fuel pressure problems, which caused the power-loss.

So, at this moment, the van is running fairly good. When I change the brakes this weekend, I'll hopefully be ready for a big camping trip with my buddy from Hawaii later this month. He's flying into CA, I'm not shipping the van to Hawaii.