Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:35:09 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: high mileage motor oil
Comments: To: Debra Clark <clark10006@COX.NET>

Is this a marketing gimmick or what? Even Mobil 1 has gotten in on the act. They even offer a "Newer" vehicle formula to go with the high mileage stuff. From what I have been reading, the differences do mainly with the viscosity ranges and seal conditioners. The new vehicle formulas have viscosities at the lower end of the range to promote fuel economy while the older vehicle formulas go for the high range and the seal conditioners to reduce oil consumption. Maybe the car manufacturers are promoting this approach also to reduce emissions (oil consumption fouls catalysts) and warranty claims.

For my experience, I have a 1999 motor home with the Ford Triton V-10. It calls for 5w-30. I have used the Mobil 1 10w-30 since its first oil change at ~3,000 miles. 2nd change at 6K, then 10K and every 5K after that. Depending on use, I usually need to add a quart every 1,500 to 2,000 miles. In 2002, we made another NY to California road trip. On the way back it was due for an oil change. The new Wal-Mart Super Center in Las Vegas has an RV bay and they did the oil change for me. They used the "High Mileage" formula Mobil 1 with a Fram Tough Guard filter at my request. I made the 3,000 mile trip home without using any oil at all, so there must be some difference unless the engine suddenly broke in at 40,000 miles. By the way, I was impressed with their price and service. They had one tech qualified to drive motor homes, a 14 foot door to handle them with a pit to do the service with out lifting it. They placed towels over everything they worked near including the engine access door. For $53 including tax, I got the Mobil 1 oil change including the extra charge for 7 quarts of oil and the Tough Guard filter. They also greased the front end and the drive shaft, and checked the fluid in the rear diff along with the other fluids.

Dennis