Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:42:25 -0800
From:         Jere Hawn <jbrschawn@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Major Milestone!!!

Hi Larry,

Good to hear from you. I sent off an earlier post on the major things I've changed like 2 engines, many starters and alternators (purchased once under lifetime warranty.)

I must amend that by adding the thing that don't work:

A/C last operated in 1995 but I haven't needed it in Wyoming or Washington so I may never get it fixed... I don't even know if its broken.

Defroster: the defroster in the mirrors and rear window does not work (on the list)

Rear hatch struts are due the hatch slowly closes on its own (on the list)

The front end (I suspect everything: ball joints, UCAB's (one side already done)

Linkage: down under the deck above the spare I believe is worn out, It doesn't bother me but my son and wife have a hard time in 1st and reverse.

The carpets and mats are all but trashed

The right arm in the front passenger's seat is gone (I had a bead on a replacement but the email got deleted and I lost it)

I've had the front end painted a few times (once after I hit a deer and about 3 other times)

I've jury rigged the forward end of the coolant pipe going fore and aft (I did it in 95 and replaced the hose in 03 so the jury rig is working fine)

The engine compartment need a serious steam cleaning

I've been through 4 O2 sensors

1 AFM box

1 idle stabilizer

I've never changed the oil in the tranny

I run a carpet cleaner through about every other year

The front heater core has a very small crack in it (its on the list)

In the cold weather I have a engine block heater bolted to it

I tow my ski boat with it

1 digi-wife, 3 kids, and up to 4 dogs (only two now; and a cat)

CV joints (once)

This past winter I replaced all inner and outer bearings

I converted it from a GL interior to a Carat with a table, narrower bench seat and only jump seat (driver side) I put a small truck box on the passenger side

1 gas cap

1 windshield (not counting the one the deer took out)

2 radios

1 fuse box

1 circuit board/sheet (behind the instrument cluster)

the exhaust system should go in a few years

at 250,000 (2003) I got notice of the 94 recall on the injectors and VW replaced the all injectors and the fuel lines

I replaced the clutch the last time the engine was replaced

I've replaced one of the rear axle stub shafts

I ran only 91 octane in the first engine and got 93,000 mile out of it, since then 87 octane and I have had a great increase in the longevity of the engine (but the logic is flawed because it is a single data point)

The tranny pinion bearing is starting to whine so I plan to replace it (maybe this summer) I wish for a 5 speed with a taller 5th gear (if they make one) but will settle with a 4 speed and a taller 4th gear.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps other get more out of their Vanagons.

It has always been cheaper to fix it rather than getting a new car. I hope to have it for many more years but need power locks and cruise control.

Jere