Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:58:22 -0500
From:         Connor McBryde <connor.mcbryde@MED.VA.GOV>
Subject:      Electrical gremlins

Fellow listees: I have been a longtime list lurker for the past 4-5 years, but fortunately have not had need of advice from the list until now. My 85 Westy Wolfsburg Weekender now has a 2.5L Subaru transplant thanks to the extensive list discussions of engine swaps over the years, and I absolutely love it.

My question is this: yesterday I noticed that my turn signals and emergency flasher had malfunctioned overnight. The green LED in the dash is dimly lit whenever the ignition is on, but when I toggle the turn signal, the LED gets bright and stays lit continuously without any relay noise or markers lighting outside. The emergency switch lights the LED up as well but does not light itself or the exterior lights. All fuses are intact. Additionally the backup lights and horn are not functioning but I do not know if this occurred in temporal relation as these are harder to miss unless looking for function daily. Could this be a failure of the flasher relay? Looking at the Bentley I am hard pressed to identify a failure mode which would affect 3 different fused circuits (horn/backup lights, turn signal, and emergency flasher).

Thanks in advance for any advice you all might have.

Connor