Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:25:26 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Friday and Bicycles

I'm on a street that is only three long blocks in length. On one end there is a grade school and the other end just ends at an intersection. We have lots of dog walkers and joggers along with just the older folks that walk. Our street works out good for this since it is double width but with no sidewalks. Most of the dog walkers and joggers come from neighboring streets. Our street is attractive to persons that Walk, Jog or Walk the Dogs since almost nobody ever parks at curbside and the width of the street gives some idea of safety. Many of my neighbors have school age children and none of them ever ride their bicycles on this street, that's parents or children. None of the children at the elementary school at one end of the street ride bicycles to or from school, the bike racks are empty. As a school aged kid I rode my bicycle on trips that were as long, round trip, as 30 miles in Dallas area. Folks around Dallas load the bikes on racks and go to specific bike trails or parks that have bike routes. It's comical to see some of the groups riding the specified bike trails. With just standard required helmets and the optional knee pads, elbow pads, tighter than skin spandex cycling shorts, shirts with designer labels they cut quite a figure of how the biking wardrobe can reach or exceed the price of the bike. I just use my bicycle to ride from the Westy to the bathrooms at the State parks and of course just around the park areas. Lots of families take the bicycles on camping days since it's about the only safe place a kid can ride a bike nowadays.

Stan Wilder