Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:23:20 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Electrical fits!!
Comments: To: JNMOTLAG@SPRINTPCS.COM

You didn't say if your van was an automatic or manual transmission so I'll assume a standard. These starters can not be bench tested as the gear end of the starter is supported by a bushing in the transmission housing. Since the auto zone tech did not recognize this, we know why he is working there.

As for the bat and oxy lights flickering and then dying, this is a sign of a failing alternator. The bat light is part of the activation circuit. When the ignition is switched on, it provides some current to excite the alternator so it can "turn on". The light provides some isolation so that when the ignition is switched off, feedback from the alternator does not keep the engine running. This light should always turn on when the ignition is switched on, and then turn off after the engine is started and the alternator begins producing current. The oxs light is also part of this circuit as a bulb check. These warning lights also serve as a warning for the alternator and water pump belt. If the belt breaks, the water pump also stops. This requires immediate engine shut down. Do not rely on the water temperature gauge as the sender is not on the engine. With out the water pump, the temp gauge will not indicate a problem until the temp of the heads is such that you have steam. At this point you will start to blow hoses, split plastic manifolds, damage coolant pipes, and of couse mess up the head gaskets.

Dennis