Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Feb 2004 06:42:20 -0800
From:         Al Knoll <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Things that irk me on my vanagon, and GAS PRICES

Effective Cycling? John Forester? An old friend of mine. Highly paid consultant to the state of Califunia on alternate transportation. A must read for those who want the real truth on cyclo-commuting. Couple that with the pointer to SUV mentality I posted a while back and you have a fine soup.

The advantage of cyclocommuting is the "alternate route". When I was employed, my cyclo-commute was 7 miles one way. I could leave my front porch and beat my neighbor to his desk (same building as mine) He drove, I pedalled, all on "city streets". The key is those off the main route streets where you as a cyclist can easily maintain your lowly sub 20mph average speed out of the claws of the cagers, the fone yappin' latte sippin, obscenity prone, mad cowboys in their 135mph cars in 15mph traffic. Moseying is a fine pace. Get to pick up road money, inhale the delicate aromas of the spring flowers instead of the suv flatulence. Just pick a better route. The best line between two points is rarely straight often Bent rarely Str8.