Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:44:05 -0500
From:         Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      87 SYNCRO WESTY ROJECT PIX AND STORY LONG

hey all, thanks to everyone who is interested in my project and thanks to Malcom i was able to post the project with some highlight pix on yahoo temporarily. here is the story of this project first for anyone interested. August 2003 i was looking heavily for a 67 westy to restore. i called a body shop who was advertising one. well, it turned out that before i called it sold. after talking to the guy he told me that he had a87 syncro westy sitting in his yard but yet 100% rust free. the details were "new paint job and body work" because PO had rolled it. All the trim was taking out. the only thing left in the syncro was steering wheel, engine and tranny! total mileage he claimed was 60,000 to 70,000. i estimated it at 100,000+. So in talking with him more, the body shop claimed that they did the body work and paint but PO refused to pay for it (i found out why when i saw the van in person) so they kept the van. i jumped on it at around $500. had it delivered to me in Montana. when it arrived i knew i was in for a long project. Let alone i had to find all the trim pieces to get her back together, but the paint job was so poor my 8 year nephew could have done a better job. There was no prep done! not even the slightest rubbing of a sotch brite pad! the paint was flaking off all over and with compressed air i could blow it right off! UGH!! but thats not the worst. The driver's side panels were obviously replaced because of the accident. They were welding place without even going to factory seams, so you can see where the paint was going to crack! In addition they were 1/4 inch thick bondo to match the lines of the van.

What did i do? i lined up a local metal magician here in town named Robert Howard to come take a look and figure a solution. The solution was not pretty. "Jason", he said "we got alot of work" the jist of it was to completely take the van to bare metal because he did not trust any of the before body work since there was no prep done to it originally. then we need to completely cut out the driver's side panels fron front door to rear, from under the drip rail to the bottom. Then reweld to factory seams new panles from a donor van.

that donor van came in the shape of an 87 wolfsburg i picked up for $600. the van body and interior were in great condiotn, no rust and very clean. 175,000 miles on it but i don't care. So Robert began cutiing out the driver's side panels and i began pulling trim to go towards the westy syncro. the only thing left was westy stuff needed. i found a 90 westy interior for sale on the list from Julianna in Oregon, adn jumped all over it. the interior is beautiful, thanks juliana!

now after 4 months of perpping, painting and gathering parts, the van is back! Robert applied 2 coats epoxy sealant, 3 coats epoxy/primer, 3 coats original color, 3 coats clear coat. In addition, he under coated wheel wells, and applied a thick vinyl to nose of van and headlights to prevent rock chips. you can not even tell this vinyl is there! Amazing! Body work and paint cost me $3000 but worth every penny. Robert should have charged me $5000 - $6000 but we are buddies and i did a lot of the work with him.

He is doing poptop now and this week we are putting in windows with all new rubber and canvas i got from another listee. i am in process of putting all interior together and will post pix of the final job. Incidientally while westy was being prepped i replaced fron shocks, bushings and ball joints, overhauled all cv's, brand new exhaust, all new brakes. from wolfsburg i am able to instal power mirrors and locks that were not originally on the syncro. i think that is it. this is going to be one hella of resto syncro westy! all in all i guess i put $6000 total in her and with the wolfs i have a back up motor and some aprts, not to mentio what i sold out of her which offset what i paid for her. i thinki am coming out a head here and am so stoked! next is 15" wheels with audi alloys Thanks you to the whole list for everyone's help. support and parts i either bought from you or sold to you to help fund the project!!!!

anyone wants to contac me go for it, i would do this project again in a minute, just not this minute here is the link to the pix and you can see the PO paint job and how ugly it is with all the over spray and such! http://photos.yahoo.com/vanagonlist enjoy jason

_________________________________________________________________ Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide. http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx