Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:02:02 -0700
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wanted:trip info for Moab in March???
Comments: To: Hermann the German <urlauber10@HOTMAIL.COM>

Alrighty then, my home away from home, Hermann ;>)

You really can't miss on almost any major hotel/motel chain in Moab. Competitive prices. Red Rocks at the south end of town is good. Out south of town, near the La Sal mts, check these out: http://www.moab.net/linksystem/index.pl?t=sub&no=9 Pack Creek Ranch (http://www.packcreekranch.com/) is also near the La Sals and I would think the "La Sal Loop" drive (about 25-30 miles) would be very worth your time. It's all paved but so very scenic and beautiful. Pack Creek is one of the best places to stay as far as I'm concerned. Only been there once but I've been back to go to meetings, banquets, and it's homey and rustic. They've been there a long time and are even mentioned in local history and lore reference books. Ed Abbey mentions them in his Monkey Wrench Gang and Desert Solitaire books.

These are up-river: http://www.moab.net/linksystem/index.pl?t=sub&no=8 .. and so is this, real nice: http://www.redcliffslodge.com/ I haven't stayed at either of those. I usually camp in my van or stay with friends. If you want to talk to some River Activists and get great ice cream at the same time, go to the Reconstruction Creamery on main street. John is the primary guy there. They are the primary activists trying to get Glen Canyon Damn decommissioned.

I think the 2 trails I'd suggest taking your syncro on would be the Gemini Bridges trail and the Hurrah Pass trail. Gemini is north of town a few miles and can be made a loop. The turn off (L) of Hiway 91 is about 1/2 mile before the 313 turnoff, which goes out to Canyonlands overlook and Dead Horse Point. If you go to Gemini, visit there, then go on in the same direction on that dirt road you will wind up on 313. If you turn left and go out toward Canyonlands Overlook and Deadhorse Point. If you then take the Deadhorse POint turn to the left in about a mile or two you'll saw a long/wide dirt road directly in front of you as the road you're on begins to go right. That's Long Canyon and is very doable in your Syncro. It will bring you out near the end of Potash Road, which is the road on the right (north) side of the Colorado River where it runs out of Moab. It's a big look starting at Gemini Bridges. Kinda fun. That other drive, Hurrah Pass, starts at the end of Kane Creek road, and that's on the left of the Colorado River. Kane Creek turns to dirt and that's the beginning of your drive out to Hurrah, maybe 8-10 miles and smooth, graded dirt road with an overlook at the end. Another thought: when you're on Kane Creek road, just outside Moab, you can stop at the chair lift that will take you up to the top of the Moab Rim Trail. Speaking of "rock crawling", that's where the experts go to climb up it Easter. The trail head for that climb is about another mile or so out Kane Creek from that chair lift. It is a spectacular view of the area and well worth the $$ to go up. Take your camera.

And you mentioned Mesa Verde: I think that is about 1 1/2 hours south of Moab, maybe 2 and a good place to get the best pix of the dwellings there. The micro-breweries are all on main street.

Hope this helps.

Bob matter of fact, I'll very likely be there then myself. We just got 2.5 feet of snow here today and I'm frickin sick of winter. I want dirt! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Hermann the German" <urlauber10@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 8:17 AM Subject: Wanted:trip info for Moab in March???