Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:40:42 -0800
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Identified the lifter, now what? :-)

First off, thanks to Jeff with Vanagon Parts for the helpful hint of simply removing the pushrod to see which valve was making the noise.

Didn't take me long as my first "guess" was the right one: cylinder #1 on the intake (the one further aft). Why a trained repair shop couldn't have done this same thing is beyond me.

Anyway, the question becomes: "now what?" How should i go about checking it is (hopefully) just a bad lifter or (please not!) a bad cam? If it is the latter, should the shop who sold the cam be accountable for one that goes flat, and consequently my having to rip the engine apart? Or is this just a risk i take by building an engine myself? I'm really not letigous about this kind of thing, but as my wife recently said, "this is the project that just keeps on giving". I'm just ready for it to stop giving.

Thanks for any input, i've (hopefully) just about got this problem licked,

-Damon

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) w/2.3L WBX (wow... it actually works!)