Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:32:16 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Self-adjusting brakes? True/ False 88GL
Comments: To: Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>

If the brakes are assembled correctly and everything is working, they are self adjusting. There are a number of things I always see that make them not work properly.

Drum diameter must be in spec. Aftermarket shoes rarely have the full thickness lining, new should be 6mm. Since the shoes only travel and move at the top, these dimensions are critical. Did the old shoes wear evenly? If only worn on top, then the drums are oversized. Hand brake cable adjustment is done before installing drums. With shoes in place, turn top adjuster to just take up the slack, do not push shoes out. Them adjust cable linkage to have ~1/16" clearance at the arm. Work lever to see that both sides are even. It's OK to have to pull on one side to take up slack on the other but make sure the arms return fully when the lever is al the way down. If the cables do move freely and consistently, it is time for new cables. I often add shims to the lower shoe mounts to get the bottoms moved closer to the drums. I find 3mm under each post usually works, even with new drums and OEM shoes. After market shoes need 4 or 5mm.

After installing the drums, you can work the adjustment from behind the backing plate to get things started. This will also adjust the parking brake. If the parking brake does not work after this something is wrong. Adjusting the parking brake cable after this will mess up the adjuster operation as the lever can not return all the way home.

Dennis