Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:22:27 -0800
From:         Ryan Press <ryan@PRESSLAB.US>
Subject:      Transaxle stub axle seal
Comments: cc: wlail@ou.edu

Hi Warren,

I remembered you had asked about changing the stub axle seal in the transaxle a few days ago. I just changed those seals today when I did the clutch.

You'll need to get the stub axle seal and a stub axle cap for each side. The cap is ruined when you remove it.

So I just popped a hole in the middle of the stub axle cap with a screwdriver. Then I pried it out revealing a circlip underneath. There is also a spring washer underneath the circlip that needs to go back in the same way it came out. I removed the circlip and used two small pry bars to remove the stub axle. Bentley shows you need a puller tool but it was easy to remove.

Then remove the two Phillips screws on either side of the hole. These hold on a plastic piece that locks the differential adjusting ring in place. Remove the plastic piece and there is the seal. Get the seal out of there (it was really in there on mine) and tap in a new seal.

Reassemble the parts, making sure that the plastic piece goes back in the exact same spot - do not turn it. When it came time to replace the circlip I used a socket slightly bigger than the splined shaft and tapped it on the end. This pressed the circlip down into the groove on the shaft.

I hope that helps - although you may have done this already..

Ryan