Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:03:26 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: click style torque wrench
Comments: To: Jake Beaulieu <jake_beaulieu@YAHOO.COM>

Long. twisty bolts or studs take a moment or so for the entire force action on them by the wrench to come to completion. A click-type wrench drops the torque before this is done. So there are some applications where the old beam style wrench works best.

One thing, no matter which style is used, they must always be calibrated periodically. When I worked for the airlines as a mechinc, for every job requiring a torque wrench application, we had to calibrate the torque wrench just before doing the work. We had a calibration unit in the shop for just that purpose. Overkill for the average shadetree mechanic, but having them checked before doing heads is a real good idea.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver