Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Mar 2004 17:55:57 -0500
From:         Tolga Morawski <tolga@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: best mod for vanagon?
Comments: To: Hans Achter <hansform@hotmail.com>

To find the carpet I just went to the local carpet shop and asked to look at industrial carpeting. I originally intended industrial as it has a shorter/smaller pile or height. A regular home carpet would be taller and too "fluffy" (I obviously don't know the proper terms for all this) and wouldn't be a good fit when you consider folds and going under the reaar seat (I have a 7-pass van). I took out the middle seats because doing a lot of hiking and traveling I can use the space for gear and rarely had so many people in it that I needed the extra seats. So that way I could use one big piece of carpet without all the cutouts, making it a lot better look over the OEM carpet. The fact that most industrial carpet is scotch guarded and *way* more durable than regular carpet were added bonuses. I have the darkbrown interior (seems like most Vanagons I see from '84 and before are either brown or light blue on the interior with the brown the overwhelming majority) and the same brown is a common industrial carpet color so I was able to get a cheap short roll of scraps that gave me enough to do my van twice over. Nice huh? Cost me $110 when I was all done but that included a roll of underlayment aka thin padding layer that goes under the carpet and makes it much more comfortable, also helps to fill in the spots where the middle bench mount cut-outs are in the weird VW wood foam padding stuff that's under the OEM carpet.

Hope this helps!