Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:24:45 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Purging Cooling System of Air
Comments: To: vanagon <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

When driving the van normally, the transmission oil is spread about mainly by the pinion shaft and gear turning/splashing the oil about. When the transmission is in neutral, the input shaft and it bearings are turning but the output shaft is not. With the nose well up in the air, the front ball bearing is not submerged in oil, eventually it will run dry. I have removed a number of these bearings with the balls and races blue. No oil is the only reason I can think of for this. The Syncro does have a check valve to keep oil in the low gear housing for these uphill adventures but eventually it will come back.

The fact that you eventually get all the air out following the book tells me there is a problem there. Letting the engine get hot without the cooling system pressurized is not a good thing. My method gets the cooling system running in a few minutes before the temp gauge even starts to rise.

As for long term success, the FUN BUS now has 215K on the original engine with the original head gaskets. Last month it traveled from NY to Florida and back.

As for disagreeing with me, hey, that's what these discussions are all about, learning and trying different things so I do not take any offense. Just trying to help. The 1.9L cooling system was not tolerant to any air in the system. The 2.1 is more tolerant and if all is well. If there is enough coolant for the pump to pump it, it will work out some air on its own. The need for frequent or difficult bleeding is indicative of a problem. In fact I recently replaced the long coolant pipes on a van where the radiator bleeder was frozen in place. I was able to get things working without it.

Dennis

Dennis, I don't know you and you may have many years of experience and know much more than I, and I certainly mean no disrespect but I am going to STRONGLY disagree with you. Here's my response to your post below.

Your comment: " If you ran the engine for any length of time with the front bumper off > the ground by 4 feet, you will also get the honor of overhauling the > transmission and possibly doing engine damage due to the oil flooding > into the rear cylinders. The water pump will not lift that high.

My response: Please think about this, When I drive my stock 85 sunroof up steep hills in San Francisco my front bumper is PAST 4 feet relative to level.....hmmm wonder why my tranny and engine have not failed? Or, steeper yet, how about when I take my Syncro off road and climb a long hill? I know of no special oiling systems for the engine or tranny in the Syncro. I also have not heard of a single case of somebody living in steep areas or Syncros off road or folks like following the book to the letter, lunching their engines or trannys. Anybody ever heard of this? on the contrary I have heard of ALOT of engines blowing head gaskets. hmmmmm could purging the air be a possible culprit?

In addition, I have done this "by the Bentley book" and it does eventually (though difficult) purges all the air out. My 85 which I rebuilt has 20k on it and I purged it "exactly by the book" raised as I stated with the front bumper almost 4ft off the ground or whatever it ends up being when you raise the cross member support the specified 15 1/2 inches from existing height. Guess what, my tranny and engine have not failed as you claim. And I ran the bus in this position for quite a long time until absolutely NO air was in the system. So you have someone telling you they did what you say will cause engine and tranny failure and it didn't happen. You are also disregarding what is clearly specified in the Bentley Official Service manual for the Vanagon for all years of water cooled models. hmmmmmm. perhaps you still know better, perhaps you are wrong about this. From what I know about air bubbles and angles of hose, Vanagons, and the reputation the Bentley guides have had since the beginning of my reading them in 1973, I am here to tell you, you are giving incorrect advise, sir.

What basis did you come up with your method? Did a factory mechanic say they get away with it at the dealer? By what engineering authority can you say I am wrong?

Seriously, because, frankly, I hate getting antifreeze all over me! I would love to be able to use your method if it leaves my rig without a bubble.

Cheers.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 8:24 PM Subject: Re: Purging Cooling System of Air