Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Mar 2004 18:04:26 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: poptop seals... NOTE

> but isn't the original seal a one piece whereas the > replacements are two pieces? (side-back-side and a front > seal)

Yes, it was a one piece seal, whereas the replacement requires you to butt the front seal up against the two side edges of the side seal. We include a bit extra length so that with a utility knife you can get a very clean seam without even needing adhesive. It's very simple and effective process.

> Wouldn't it be possible to get a "original" one piece seal?

Yes, but why? I was offered a quantity of original Westfalia seals on my last trip to Germany, and turned them down. This is a case where original simply isn't better. The main reason most people replace the original seal is that the metal clips in the original seal rusted out and the seal started to fall off. It's a flawed design, and another original replacement would do exactly the same thing. My aftermarket seals have aluminum clips so they don't rust. You'll probably never have to replace it again for as long as you own your Vanagon. The rust issue with the original seal, in my opinion, far outweighs the very minor inconvenience of installing a two-piece seal as its replacement.

As for why we couldn't make a single-piece seal but with aluminium clips... We could. But it's a very cost-ineffective way to make this seal (hence VW's exhorbitant price on the original seal). Joining the edges for you cannot be done in a mass-produced setting, and would double or even triple the price of the seal. Given that you can do it yourself very effectively in just a few minutes, it would be silly for us to provide it that way at a dramatically higher cost. This is a case where a few minutes of time saves a whole lot of money.

Poptop seals were The Bus Depot's first in-house designed product, many years ago, and I spent a lot of time researching the alternatives (both existing and custom) in order to come up with what we sell now. The idea was to improve over the original design, but at a comparable price to what other VW parts vendors charged for the generic seals that they sold as "poptop seal." I saw a need for this because, as a Westy owner myself, I was dissatisfied with the other VW aftermarket alternatives (which are merely off-the-shelf weatherstrip picked out of a catalog and not even designed for a VW, cut to an appropriate length). Everything factor was considered, from the precise location of the sealing bulb to the design of the front seal. The resulting kit is unique to The Bus Depot, and, I honestly believe, far superior to the original seal for a fraction of the price.

You can find details at http://busdepot.com/busdepot/details/canvas.jsp and order at http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=WESTYRUBBER .

> Just a tip from when i replaced my pop-top seals... if > you happened to get the Bus Depot kit, the seal that > touches on the metal is an excellent upgrade, but the > one that goes across the front and seals to the > luggage rack is worse that original -. didn't seal at all. > I just created a hybrid seal using the new side trim and > the old front trim.

As originally designed, the luggage rack seal is really not really meant to "seal" at all. Unlike the original poptop seal, which was in fact designed to seal (prevent rain and cold/heat from reaching the van interior), the luggage rack seal was primarily a cosmetic trim piece. If you look at your luggage rack you'll find holes in it designed to allow rain water to escape. This water is supposed to go under the luggage rack, past the luggage rack "seal," and into the rain gutter. Despite this, many vendors ship an extra length of poptop seal and sell it as luggage rack seal. This saves them money/hassle, as they are cutting it all of of the same roll. However, such an insulation bulb (as opposed to a small lip as found on the original luggage rack seal), can impede this rainwater drainage, temporarily trapping water between your luggage rack and roof until it gradually trickles through or evaporates. That's why my luggage rack seal doesn't have the insulation bulb like my poptop seal does. If your luggage rack still meets factory specs, my seal will work fine as-is, while providing maximum rainwater drainage. Also it will allow you to easily install the seal without removing your luggage rack (which is nearly impossible to do with a seal that has a bulb), so it will save you a lot of time. However, if over the years your luggage rack has loosened slightly, and is not quite as flush with your roof as it once was, you may get wind noise when using a seal that lacks an insulation bulb. We find that this happens about one out of every 50 or so cases. If this happens, you can do one of several things. You can adjust the positioning of the seal at the front edge of the luggage rack up or down slightly, which often eliminates the wind noise. You can slightly loosen the luggage rack bolts, put some weight on the luggage rack, and tighten it again, thus possibly snugging it down a bit. Or you can at that point order a length that has an insulation bulb, which we sell optionally at http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=LUGSEAL2 . If you go this route, I recommend that you cut the insulation bulb slightly at some point along the sides of the luggage rack to allow better drainage. But the odds are great that you will never have to do this; the vast majority of people find that our standard seal works perfectly, without impeding drainage, and with much easier installation.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT