Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:32:43 -0800
From:         Harald Rust <harald_nancy_vw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Friday - Sasquatch, Hermit of the Olympics

Forwarded from: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vw-camping/ One stormy cold night on Washington’s Olympic Peninsula, our vanagon churns its way through the rain to the Hoh Rain forest. By nightfall we reach the turnoff, and a sign says, “Rain forest 20 miles”. The long and narrow road takes us under ancient maple trees covered with thick moss, dimly lit by the headlights. I hit the brakes as a lonely deer fearlessly crosses the road, oblivious to our approach. The rain is coming down in heavy sheets, as the narrow windy drive is covered with a blanket of water and strewn branches blown down by the wind. Passing the entrance to the park, we reach the ranger station, empty and abandoned in the dark night. The power is out, and there are no lights. The park is transformed into a eerie and brooding landscape. Carefully navigate through fallen debris, and find a campsite, sheltered from the fury of the gale. Our small camper home is surrounded by huge ancient stands of timber, swaying in the wind. Long water-soaked strands of moss hanging from their branches, creating spooky shapes and shadow plays. Closing the sliding door, crawl under the blanket, and try to rest, while the vanagon is buffeted by the storm. Just as sleep overtakes, I hear a strange scratching noise, like fingernails on a chalk board. Moments later, a scream, shrill and high-pitched, pierces the night. Then a second scream, this time much closer and other worldly. “What was that?” she says. “Is it dangerous?” “Perhaps an animal crying out in pain, attacked by a cougar. Or it’s just the wind, howling through the trees.” I get up, and peer through a small gap in the curtains. A big furry face staring back at me, pressed against the outside glass. Large eyes framed by yellow-tinged fur, it appears as astonished and spooked as I am. Stunned I jump back, close the curtain and hurry back under the covers. “What did you see?” she asks. “Nothing, I say. Just the wind and trees. Let’s try and get some sleep.” Harald '90 westfalia