Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:06:42 -0800
From:         vanagon <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Factory assembly information?

Hi All ,

What a great resource for all of us folks who know what vehicle to own and love! Funny thing, most of the people I meet with Vanagons have all owned TONS of cars! This is a matter of EVOLUTION folks!

Okay, I have a challenging request. I am wondering if anywhere on earth exists specific information on how the VW Vanagon is assembled and built. Primarily, how the body is welded. Especially the three different roof structures. I have only been able to find a few factory snaps but have not seen the chain of events or anything that shows order of assembly.

The primarily reason for my asking is I am in the midst of installing a pop top roof on my 87 (non pop top) GL Syncro. I would like to better understand what order certain metal pieces were joined together, this will greatly help. I have heard stories of folks who went to Germany to see their Vanagon's being built, and were able to witness the entire process! Wow.

Are there any videos of this floating around out there? I would pay money for a copy? Anybody have more factory snap shots? Any write ups.

From the factory photos I have seen, it looks like the sides of the Vanagons are pre-fabed up and then brought together and the top roof support framework is added, Then I don't know what is next I am imagining the floor is started to be installed and so forth.

The specific info I really need is the Standard roof, the Pop Top roof, and the Sun roof.

Thanks to all, Save the Vanagons!

Doug