Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:38:49 -0800
From:         Sam Scholten <undergroundboy01@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: friday...whats the FASTEST youve driven in your vanagon????

--- Adam B <TheCoolestGuy87@AOL.COM> wrote: > The > car handles the speed better than I ever imagined. > Good German engineering.

Absolutely. There was a downhill grade on the Interstate where I used to live years ago where I could do 85-90 in neutral with the clutch out. It was a false, dirty sense of vindication when I was able to pass any SUV I wanted... well, for 75 seconds, at least. ;)

The handling was as sure as anything I've ever driven-- and I currently have a Lexus RX300 in the driveway with which to compare. I've NEVER felt like I've driven the bus too fast to steer- and I've taken sone way-too-fast curves in the hilly 'burbs on stock 75-series tires in my '87.

Under power, though, I've never really pushed it past 70. I just can't stomach the idea of pushing a '40s-tech pushrod engine kicking and screaming over 4.5K whereas the RX tach will whiz well past 5K without a grumble. Maybe if I had a Tiico, I might feel differently...

Sam