Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Mar 2004 17:36:02 -0800
From:         Michael Snow <slowmachine@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: 300 miles with a tank...
Comments: cc: David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>

> > Mike, have your injectors been rebuilt recently? Do you get knocking > ("nailing") at idle? I noticed a big reduction in smoke when I had mine > rebuilt. > > It's not hard to tweak the max fuel screw a bit if you want to decrease > your smoke generation. I don't remember which way is "more smoke", > though. Mine's still got the factory seal on it, I haven't had any > reason to mess with it yet. >

I have not rebuilt injectors yet. I did, however, test the breaking point and spray pattern using Bosch injector tester. I have given up on the 1.6D and purchased a 1.9D, so now I have brand new injectors. It only has 400 miles on the clock, so I'm not at all interested in trying to calculate fuel economy. I'll be very surprised if it isn't 25-30. If I come up with some amazing mileage figure after the 5000 mile mark, I'll be sure to let everyone know. I'm also quite familiar with pump adjustments. I have a mile-long hill leading to my neighborhood with a 45 MPH speed limit. I put the pedal to the floor in 4th gear (5 speed) and look for smoke when climbing the hill. My 1.9D loses 2 MPH from bottom to top of this hill. I adjust the pump in 1/16 turn increments until the smoke just disappears at full throttle. FWIW, the 1.6D would drop from 45 to 33-35 MPH on the same climb.

Michael Snow 1982 Westfalia 1.9D 1986 GL 1987 Syncro GL