Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:49:09 -0800
From:         Marcia Holm <mholm@ONLINEMAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Taking dog first time camping...
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>

WE have two German short-hairs that love the van more than us humans! We use a couple long leads (15 ft. or so) attached to the door handle/hitch/etc. depending upon the campsite for the dogs. One of them loves the van so much that she would prefer to view the world from the luxury of the van.

Multiple towels are important for wipe downs of wet or mud. I have also found it helpful to carry some "handi-wipes" for the dogs just in case they feel the need to roll in "delicate dog perfume" - also known to humans as dead stuff. Hopefully we would also find a good swimming hole!

We have found that in warm weather - say in the 80s, with no humidity - that finding a shaded area and popping the top will provide a nice ventilated area for the dogs while we are gone for a small amount of time. This works really well when we aim the front of the van into the wind and open up the windows as much as possible. We seldom do this after long stretches of driving since the engine heat tends to overwhelm any natural cooling available.

Our dogs prefer to eat and drink while the van is moving (go figure!) - so we put the dog kibble in a rubber maid container and the water bowl inside a cheap plastic kitty litter tray - keeps the water in some sort of container, rather than on the floor.

Dogs get used to whatever experiences their humans provide for them - they will love it!

Marcia & Vern Holm 84 Westy McMinnville, OR

--- [This E-mail Scanned for viruses by Onlinemac.com]