Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:22:40 -0800
From:         vanagon <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: a completely different cooling question

Have you tried testing the fan relay? I had one that stuck closed and it keeps the fan on. Replaced the relay, fan stays off till the relay reaches the temp required then fan goes on.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "gary" <clonestar@ADELPHIA.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 5:01 PM Subject: a completely different cooling question

Here is the lowdown. 1984 Vanagon 4 speed-electric radiator cooling fan is always on-even when totally cold and the keys aren't in the ignition--had to pull the fuse to stop the fan from blowing. I have made sure the A/C is in the off position. the upper passenger A/C control knob feels a little beat--doesn't click when turned to off--just kinda grinds into the off position--I don't know if it is related. Also-I had my neighbor take a look at the A/C--it wasn't blowing cold. Compressor kicked in and things looked good-(found one bad O-ring). So we ended up retrofiting the high & low fittings and put in some freon-the low side pounds were way too high-didnt even take a can--He thinks I need an expansion valve and a dryer couldn't hurt Are these two symptoms related or am I looking at two separate evil entities at work here? I can live without the A/C but I am afraid the van cannot live long without me fixing the radiator fan. Any and all comments appreciated.