Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Mar 2004 17:48:43 -0600
From:         "Warren.K.Lail-1" <wlail@OU.EDU>
Subject:      Sunday Update: Billy Bones

Thanks to everyone for all the help. This morning I went out early and did these things.

1. Pulled ground strap from engine, sanded the ends, reinstalled it. 2. Pulled tranny ground strap, sanded, reinstalled. 3. Replaced coil with coil from 87 GL. 4. Started engine. Ran and idled fine. Drove it around, no surges, no problems. Even after a 10 mile drive, running good. May have that problem solved (I do hope so). Don't know if it was the ground or coil, but I'm happy. O2 sensor is still disconnected, so that may turn out to the monster. 5. Got ready to drive again and it would not start. Battery is good. Solenoid was not engaging. Crawled up under bus and used screwdriver to short solenoid. This caused starter to jump. Got back in and started up fine. Drove to FLAPS to get some shop towels. Got ready to leave, starter began to drag. Finally would turn no more. Would not start. 6. Pulled starter in FLAPS parking lot. Tested "weak" (just over 10 volts). FLAPS did not have one in stock (of course not). Paid $50 to have Billy towed home (2 miles). 7. $#*@($*!!!

The covering on the large wire coming to the starter is cracked and brittle. How hard is this to replace? It comes out of a large tube full of wires. From the size it looks like it must come straight from the battery.

I'm fully engaged in this battle and I'm not backing away from it now . . .

Kindest regards,

Warren Lail 88 Westy "Billy Bones" 87 GL "Long John"