Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:12:59 -0800
From:         TinkerMan <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      # Vanagon motor overheating alert device (was: Coolant hoses -
              replace them! )
Comments: cc: Erin Randolph <lexluthier72@yahoo.com>,
          "sam.cooks" <sam.cooks@verizon.net>,
          "Warren.K. Lail-1" <wlail@ou.edu>,
          "Greenamyer, William L" <william.l.greenamyer@boeing.com>

Hello Volks!

The amount of emails I got following my initial reply to Warren's ("Warren.K.Lail-1" <wlail@OU.EDU>) posting proved that engine loss due to overheating is a very hurting problem for all Vanagon owners...(actually, any car owners...). Yes, it seems that many manufacturers "plant" a very profitable design flaw into their products, whereas the coolant temperature meter (which is supposed to warn us of a nearing engine overheat condition) might not do it's job properly, resulting in a very expensive and painful engine replacement! Why does this happen?

Many times, even if the meter is doing it's job properly the driver doesn't notice it or even a flashing lamp simply because he is distracted by other things or has the sun shining in his eyes...

An other potential problem is the design of the coolant temp warning system: in the Vanagon, the temp sender is mounted into the thermostat housing, which is made of plastic, and is where the coolant actually passes through which makes it a theoretically good sensing point, but if for some reason the coolant drains out of the system (like when I had a leak in the oil cooler union which caused much coolant to leak overnight) then the sender just senses the temp of the AIR in the thermostat that bares no relation to the actual motor temperature... In the Vanagon, there is another warning system design to warn of missing coolant (those two prongs in the expansion tank) but these fail too. And that's exactly how I lost a motor...:-( So after that happened to me, I understood what was the design flaw that caused this catastrophic situation: the temp sender isn't mounted to the motor head, and also no audible warning in case you're not watching the temp meter. I set out to design my solution to this flaw, and came with a nice solution of monitoring BOTH the standard temp sender (of the meter, not the one the ECU monitors) as well as the cylinder head temp, and sounding a loud alert when one of them starts climbing higher than normal, as well as showing which sender triggered the alert. The circuit isn't very complex and is fully adjustable, which makes it easy to configure it to both hot and cold climates, or winter/summer. Basically, it's a pair of analog comparators that compare the senders outputs (the one in the thermostat and an additional one bolted to the cylinder head)to the predefined setting, and sound a buzzer and flash a LED lamp. I don't have the circuit at hand right now, but since several people contacted me directly requesting more info and possibly posting pictures of my design, I will try to dig it up (it's been 7 years...). Anyway, I remember another list member came up with a simpler solution of attaching a thermal switch (similar in concept to the one used in the radiator to start the cooling fan, but of a more convenient mechanical design to aid in bolting it to the motor head) which directly triggers a buzzer in the cab. The problem of this design is that it isn't adjustable to actual temps and you have to locate a unit of the proper temp range. I couldn't find his postings in the archives, but maybe he's still on the list or someone might find his original post. Also, if someone can find web space where I can post the info if I find it, I might try to publish the details for the benefit of fellow vanagonites...

Whew! What a long post, which shows how much I understand the pain of other Van-a-gone owners...:-)

===== Cheers, T-man.