Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Mar 2004 06:43:02 -0500
From:         Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: cooling system design
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net>

dennis

thanks for the informative post. i would like to say in reguards to the main expansion tank not being large enough, that in my practical experience that is not true. i have been running a self built 15 degree digifant engine conversion for over 10,000 miles, in various climates and altitudes. the system that i have designed is very similar to the golf system (no over flow tank) except that i am using the vanagon expansion tank as my expansion tank. on this tank i use golf style cap without the coolant expansion nipple/valve. i run the system with about a 1/3 or 1/4 of the expansion tank containing air. the tank is mounted at about cylinder head height. i have been through most types of driving conditions including a 5,000 mile trip from michigan to the pacific northwest. in that time i have had no problems with the tank being air bound during cold or it over flowing when hot.

i would like to take this issue of entrained air a bit further i have read in the past technical papers and power point presentations referring to the possible cavitation, and internal pitting and corrosion. the stuff i remember reading was write up pertaining to large diesel engines such as those in trucks. if you have or know of any references on this subject i would be interested to know of them. also if this is a problem in engine situations why does volkswagen and other manufacturers continue to use this type of set up?

jonathan