Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Mar 2004 08:34:40 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: discontinued cooling hoses
Comments: To: Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>

As Ron said the 82 diesel hoses are discontinued. However we can still get the 83-84 Diesel hoses pretty easily. You have to change your coolant expansion tank in order to retrofit these hoses but it is better than not being able to get anything.

As for the 1.9l Vanagon the early 83.5 engine bay hoses have been discontinued long ago (if you have this type of Vanagon you will have two really long and preformed hoses in the engine bay). However you can retrofit to the later 83.5-85 hoses. There is one main hose of the 83.5-85 hoses that has been discontinued and if you go to my coolant hose chart for the 1.9l you will see it. I have found a replacement that will work in place of it. So far the 1.9l hoses for the later 85 Vanagons with long plastic coolant pipes are all still available along with the 2.1l Vanagon hoses and syncro hoses. However as Ron said don't expect this to last forever. If you need to replace your hoses do it now. In another 5 years (or sooner) I expect the 2.1l hoses to be in the same boat as the diesels are now.

Now we will hear from all the folks that will encourage you to not replace your hoses because Ron and I are just trying to make dirty money (ugh I hate even saying that dirty word;-). Of course these folks will be the first to cry when they can no longer get the hoses that they put off getting and advised you to do the same. If you are smart you will see that yes we are making money, but at the same time we are providing a service to you. I'll give you a newsflash, Vanagon coolant hoses don't have a very large profit margin when compared to other parts. That is why most vendors don't stock them. I do because when one of you folks is broken down in Nowhere, ND I want to be able to say, "Yes I have that hose and it is on the way via UPS overnight." Thankfully I have been able to do this many times, but just think how much pleasanter that trip would have been if the guy had called me just a month earlier and spent the overnight charges on some extra coolant hoses.

Just my opinion.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com