Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Mar 2004 12:09:31 -0500
From:         David and Shirin <daveshirin@ENERGYUNITED.NET>
Subject:      EGR valve in 1981 effects cylinder head temps

Well I finally got around to hooking up the linkage to my EGR valve in my 1981 aircooled Westy, actually I made a new linkage because mine has been missing since I bought the van. When I last had the engine out I cleaned out all the little EGR pipes inside the intake manifold so I would get a nice even distribution of gas. Well this van has always run hot for us in the past. The day before hooking up the EGR linkage, I was seeing Cylinder Head Temps "CHT" (sender under #3 spark plug) of 400 just doing 55mph on leval roads at ambient temps of 60 deg F. The next day with the same 60 deg weather on the same road I was able to do 65 mph and the CHT was about 375. Thats a huge improvement, I have never been able to hold 65mph in this van without the temps climbing above 425 which is what I consider the upper safe limit for temps. I knew that EGR would bring the temps down some as it reduces the peak flame front temps in the cylinder and also effetivly lowers the compression ratio but I was not ready for such a drastic improvement. So now I am only a rolling road block on hills, :)

David