Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Mar 2004 17:04:53 -0500
From:         Tolga Morawski <tolga@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: coolant hoses (Cost, is the only issue)

In my 10 years as a Vanagon owner with many a trip stranded somewhere I have to say trying to bring along spares is pretty pointless. As someone else pointed out if you know something is going replace it before you leave. I've taken spares on past trips and whether bad luck or chance it always seems to be something else that goes bad. I was stranded once in the middle of Maine (coming from near Albany, NY) with a blown coolant hose and it did suck. That's why rather than have thousands of dollars in spares around (dry rotting-hoses or rusting-exhaust pipes) in your vehicle or garage, invest in AAA+ (100miles free towing and $2 mile after) and a car insurance with a breakdown rental provision. In a perfect world our vans would never do this to us but it happens. I was a spare man for a long time but in about 50% of the time the elements would damage my spares quicker than I could use them....that's more due to my humid Northeastern locale but now I buy what I need when I need it. If we're working on our own vehicles as it seems most of us are, spend more time diagnosing what what go wrong. Everyone doesn't *need* to replace all their coolant lines because somebody had one blow or to redo all the fuel lines because someone had a fire. Check the lines regularly for signs of wear, frayed ends, brittle sections, leak marks on the ground, etc. and replace them when they need it. Every situation is different. The next thing you know we'll all replace our engines because someone had a head gasket go. Sure the engine will go eventually but I still think it makes the most sense to cross that bridge when it comes along as if you anticipate every possible problem you'll spend several times more than the cost of the Vanagon itself. I don't mind putting money into my VW but I've had vehicles in the past where I amass a lot of parts, spares, etc and then the unforeseen accident makes the thing a wreck and then where are you (back to the eBay thread I guess;). So my philosophy is take a good set a tools when you travel, a credit card with plenty of room, my AAA+ card and most important the contact info for my favorite mechanic and parts place who in the past have been more than willing to overnight me things on the go so I could do a repair (or have it done by a reputable shop) and get going again.

Later, Tolga