Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Mar 2004 23:11:57 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Was: coolant hoses Now: Mechanic search
Comments: To: Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>

Hi Mark,

I second that on John's Auto in Whitehorse. I had to stop in there on my way down from the north country.

I'm still trying to get it together for a trip back up this summer. I am still pursuing my artistic bent that I developed the last few years I was up there, and I need to come back up and travel the state doing research for new projects, gather plant specimens and preserve them and the like. I've got a great many photo shoots in mind, and I will be seriously stalking the wild watermelon berry plant for the perfect shot of the ripe berry. Would like to spend some time down on the Kenai, maybe shoot some clams at Clam Gulch, and pick up a few Reds in the Kenai River in July and some Silvers in the salt off the point on Homer Spit in August. And perhaps include some fishing out on the Kenai Moose Range in the Kenai Canoe Trails. I used to have out there a special spot - a lake - that I fished for rainbows in. One day I was out there in my Folbot fishing and had the priviledge of watching a pair of bald eagles work the lake from a big broken off crag of a tree. Wish I'd had a camera that day. They would get so close to me I could hear the wind whistle through their feathers as they would dive on a surfacing run of fish. They were the successful fishermen that day. I got skunked. I wouldn't want to try it, but I sure admired their technique.

I am looking forward to pointing the nose of the van north. I'm trying now to get all the big maintenance items worked off now. I replaced alll the CV's not long ago wity new Lobro's and boots so they should be good to go. This past fall the tranny got new Redlin Mt90, so its good to go, and the clutch, disk, and flywheel woer done when the engine was rebuilt - about 40,000 miles back, so there should be no probs there. A biggy is the power steering rack. It leaks a bit, and will have to be either overhauled or relaced soon. Fairly new front brakes but on trips I always carry a set of pads. Coolant change and AC upgrade are due shortly, although the AC isn't needed in Alaska, it sure will be needed until I reach some goodly northern latitudes. However, I do know that the last frost occurs on the Alaska Highway June 15 at Watson Lake. So the heater needs to work well also, even though it's summer. I'm going to get the little stuff later in the spring, just before heading out. When done, I will hit the road north about June 15 or so.

Keep your fenners crossed it will be a good trip, and maybe I will see you in July.

Regards,

John Rodgers