Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Mar 2004 06:46:39 -0500
From:         Kurt Camealy <camealy@CTSR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon 2WD fuel tank R & R
Comments: To: Jere Hawn <jbrschawn@earthlink.net>

Jere

Well I break X-large gloves on a regular basis and am 6'9". My hand did not fit over the frame and I also was replacing EVERY grommet and evap line. Even the ones that go the expansion tanks under each wheel well from the front and rear of the tank. I think the key to your 30-minute job was "vent line" singular. Also depending on the year, early model vans had different vent line routing. Not to say 6 hours is correct, like I said a lot of time was wasted during my job. Still not a simple procedure for a first timer.

Kurt 87 Wolfsburg GL

-----Original Message----- From: Jere Hawn [mailto:jbrschawn@earthlink.net] Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 12:17 AM To: Kurt Camealy; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: Vanagon 2WD fuel tank R & R

Everyone,

Do not make this harder than it is. Changing that vent line and fittings is a 30-minute job. Use a flat bar to pop the old vent line out, tie a string to it and a string to the new one. I think I attached new vent line hose for the expansion tank before I pulled the new one across the tank. You will need a yardstick to loosen the tie in the center top. Pull the old one out while pulling the new one in. I wear x-large gloves and my hand barely fits over the frame and the body to where I can put in new grommets by hand; then just pop in the new vent line. I cannot remember if I had to remove the fill line before I did this.

Jere

I must agree that it is a very time consuming procedure. I just retrofitted mine with all new seals and hoses and it took me 6 hours. Most of that was figuring clever ways to attach the evap lines with the tank partially installed due to the need to go over the coolant and PS lines. Also a lot of time was lost staring at my 17 year old coolant hoses wondering why I didn't by new ones before going through all that work.

Kurt 87 Wolfsburg GL