Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:24:04 -0800
From:         vanagon <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: optima batteries - what about Ni-cads
Comments: To: Phil Zimmerman <phil.zimmerman@MAIL.CRCN.NET>

Hi Phil, Hey are there any good battery options for limited use as aux battery power? I am wondering specifically about ni-cad or similar for the vanagon. There are many power tools today that use the rechargeable 12 battery packs. the price seems to be coming down quite a bit.

I am thinking with LED technology for lighting and low draw laptops for DVD players etc, that most accessories are beginning to be very low draw, and frankly, I have had a deep cycle battery in my 2nd compartment and it went bad after about 3-4 years, I believe it was because of non use and that I really didn't cycle it well, Thus, my question for using nicads.

I am thinking about 1/3 to 1/2 of the normal capacity and hopefully weight savings as well. I am thinking Nicads can cycle thousands of times and can easily be recharged with a small solar panel.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Zimmerman" <phil.zimmerman@MAIL.CRCN.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 11:54 PM Subject: Re: optima batteries