Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:32:43 -0500
From:         Tracey Estevez <boatshop@INTERCOM.NET>
Subject:      Re: coolant hoses (Cost, it the only issue)

After first purchasing our 85 Westy and replacing the head gasket and brakes we figured that, over the summer, we would get around to picking thru the van and replacing old worn parts. The very first thing to happen was a coolant hose bursting. Fortunately it happened just down the road from our house. I called around and found that particular hose to be very expensive, and the cumulative knowledge of the Vanagon list suggested replacing them all at once. Good idea, but we were strapped for cash. So thanks to that emergency fiberglass coolant hose repair wrap, we were underway again. Despite buying an entire coolant hose set from another listee (that is stashed in the van), that temporary repair is still in place today. You can bet that replacing those hoses is the first thing I do this summer.

Carrying that emergency fiberglass hose wrap in the van should be an essential. It cures using only water in 20 minutes and you will need to have strong rubber gloves to apply it. In the end it looks exactly like a cast. It can be found in marine parts stores like West Marine.

-Tracey E