Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:43:27 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anybody up for the UK quick shift kit at about $55 plus
              shipping?

> As I said, I'll check and see if I can provide a third > alternative. Actually I already sent out one inquiry. Frankly > I wouldn't rate the odds as being particularly high, but > there's certainly no harm in asking, and nothing to lose by > giving it a week or so just in case...

Well I did a little checking and the only alternative to the Berg kit that I could find was indeed the British one. So I looked into this one a bit. Someone who had seen both units opined that the Berg unit seemed heavier duty than the British one, which is made out of urethane. I also received one report of a problem that may have been related to the shift kit. A Vanagon owner reported that his shift lever literally snapped near the bottom shortly after he installed the kit according to the instructions. The individual (who is very knowledgeable about Vanagons but not a professional mechanic) said that a quick shift kit can alter the dynamics of how the force is distributed to various parts of the shift assembly when you shift. He theorized that this kit had increased the amount of stress borne by the lower part of his shifter, causing it to break.

I want to be careful not to disparage anybody's handiwork based on a single incident. This could be an isolated case, and there certainly could be other explanations for the damage. Maybe the shifter was already fatigued, and the installation of the shift kit just exacerbated a problem that might have happened anyway. (Although I must admit that it is quite rare for a shift lever to snap under typical circumstances.) It is also possible that this was an isolated defect, or that it was improperly installed, and that this had absolutely nothing to do with the overall design or quality of the kit.

The problem is, unlike a mass produced product where there have been thousands used over a period of time, a low-volume product like this has much less of a track record that can be examined. (How many users would represent a sufficient sample to establish that the failure was atypical? Ten? Fifty? A hundred? And for how long would they have to have used the part?) As a result, when you hear feedback like this about a somewhat less established product, it's hard to gauge whether it's indicative of a design/quality issue, or just a fluke. When it comes to products that I am considering carrying, in situations like this I tend to err on the side of caution and opt not to offer the product. Then again it's my customers' money and vans that I'm putting on the line, not just my own, so I must be more cautious than I might be if I were just buying one for myself.

So, while I don't want to be unfair to the manufacturer if this was indeed a fluke, I also feel that I would be remiss if I didn't share what I was told and let you make your own conclusions as to its validity. As for my involvement, if you do still want to do a group purchase, it still may or may not be possible for me to get a slightly better price (I do import from the UK regularly.). I don't know yet, as I didn't try. Anyway, now you know as much as I do.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT