Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Mar 2004 13:31:17 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gasoline War ! !
Comments: To: David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>

Tesoro Alaska has a refinery at Kenai. It's about 100 miles in a straight line from Anchorage. So far as I know it is the only refinery up there. Has been there for years. That refineray supplies ALL the gasoline for the Southcentral region of the state. There is a pipeline that runs from The refinery to Anchorage to keep the various other oil companies storage tanks filled. I've a cousin who worked for Shell oil and when it was their turn to receive gas and other fuels he would go down to the refinery to supervise and monitor pumping operations. Gulf, Shell, Texaco, Exxon, Chevron, and Independents, and others all got their gas from the same place...Tesoro Refinery.

Gas in other more remote regions was brought in on barges if there were navagible rivers available. Other times it was in 50 gallon drums. I can't even begin to count the number of 50 gallon drums of aviation fuel that I have pumped into bush planes in the remote areas of Alaska. The bush is littered with dead soldiers from the days of the drums. The drums did get good second use sometimes. They made up into excellent and inexpensive wood stoves, cooking stoves, and hotwater heaters. One fellow I knew used them to store dried stickleback fish which he would feed his hogs to supplement the protein in their diet.

But the local refinery in Kenai supplied all the fuels, residential, automotive, on the highway system in Alaska. Most all fuels going to remote areas came from Washington, and California. Don't think much came from Oregon.

Finally, when we used to pump fuel from drums, we always pumped it through chamois skin stretched over a funnel. Seems chamois will let the fuel through but blocks water from passing through.. Good thing to know.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver