Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:28:59 -0500
From:         Jonce Fancher <strtbug@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: CANVAS
Comments: To: patrick <appin@DISTRIBUTEL.NET>

Hi patrick there are 4 options to fix the the canvas #1 : Tear mender- small white tube of latex adhesive that dries clear works great on non treated canvas and leather. can not recover from a freeze so dont store out in the van if your area freezes. 5.00 for a bottle retail

#2 : Tear Aid - clear tape made by 3M that will bond to cleaned canvas and be hard pressed to get it off. they also make one for vinyl products. i can get you info if you need it. i also sell it by the foot and its approx 1.5" wide. works best if you clean the area with rubbing alcohol and let dry then put a patch on the inside and the outside for best results.

#3 : Total replacement just costs time and money

#4 : Hand sew on a patch. go to local sewing store and pick up the heaviest polyester threat they carry and get a round point curve needle so you dont have to have someone on the other side to pass the needle back in. this will be a leak point

as for cleaning the best stuff out there is luke warm water and car wash soap. DO NOT use anything with detergent in the name. ie laundry detergent. yes it will clean it good and fast but deteriorates the fiber and stitching. Use car wash soap and if need be color safe bleach. no more then 4oz. bleach to 1 gallon of water. woolite also works well. make sure whatever you use that you use plenty of water to remove the cleaner of choice, residual cleaner will harm your canvas. when done and dry you can apply a water repellent spray such as canvac or 303. not scotch gaurd (it has no UV protection and will not last long) try to use something with no silicone in it since it attracts dirt. if seams leak use a good seam sealer. most products can be purchased at a good boat top shop or awning shop. at my shop i sell IOSSO product and have had the best luck with them. if you need or cant find a said product i can always ship it to you. but usually they nail your for hazadous shipping. there is also a product called zipper lube that is fantastic for a sticking zipper. i also sell a great biodegradable mold and mildew cleaner but if mold has stained the canvas your SOL. c-ya and good luck. if you want to contact me you can check out my web site at <www.fanchers.com> . hope this helps Jonce