Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:45:09 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Just a simple little repair

So, I finally decided to get around to replacing the broken outside handle on the GoldBrick. Chris Turner (who sold me my replacement) had indicated the small (jewelers sized) screw that need to be removed to replace the cylinder lock. On his replacement, this was easily removed.But I'm getting ahead of myself.

First, I pull the inside door panel off my sliding door. I quick glance at the lock mechanism makes me think this is more complicated that I can figure out without the Bentley, so I go get the great green book.

I turn to the sliding door section (skipping the electric lock section since I've only manual locks on the GoldBrick). Let's see. remove 3 screws. Hmm, that's odd, that doesn't look anything like the lock I've got. Oh. Wait. I'm looking at 83-84 doors. Flip a couple of pages to 85 and onward doors. That's better. Hmm. Looks right, but less clear.

So, maybe there's only one screw to remove to take the handle off. Wow! Yep, it's that simple. Cool. This is going to done really quickly.

Or not.

So my jewelers screw driver isn't doing anything on the old screw. I worry it for 30 minutes, until I finally decide, screw it (sic). I'll just drill it out. Grab dril. Carefull drill. And it's out. But the cylinder lock isn't. And won't. Grrr.

An hour and a half later I've cleaned the old salt, and caked grease embedded old mechansim and FINALLY gotten the old cylinder out. It looks horrible. So, I decide to clean it up before replacing it in the replacment handle.

This takes upwards of 2 hours (mainly getting the brass "keys" out of the mechanism, and the springs as well. Last time I did a swap (gas cap) I had it done in less than 15 minutes. This one is hammer work to tap the keys out (keeping them carefully in order). Clean them up with emory cloth (well, 1500 grit sandpaper). Clean the cylinder (inside and out) and then reassemble.

I then spend another 30-45 minutes fiddling with the spring (large, not the tiny ones) and trying to get the cylinder to properly lock and unlock the door. I finally gave up (I can get it to unlock, but not lock...it's catching on something, and I'm too tired to worry about it.)

I've been working on this for almost 5 hours. And it was just a simple little repair. Bah. I even lost one of the tiny springs. (I replace it temporarily with a copper one from another lock cylinder. I'll get a magnet out and cover the floor With snow in the forecast, I'm ready to bag it for tonight.