Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Mar 2004 03:44:02 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: tire rims
Comments: To: appin@DISTRIBUTEL.NET

In a message dated 3/14/2004 3:54:43 PM Pacific Standard Time, appin@DISTRIBUTEL.NET writes:

<< I know this topic has been done many times before but here we go again. I noticed in the archives that some people use mercedes rims and I was wondering from wich models? I also have been down at the wreckers quite abit lately and have noticed audis and jettas with sixteen and fifteen inch rims that look like they would match. does any body out there have two cents on the subject? thanks patrick 85 westy under massive construction >>

Patrick,

There have been numerous discussions on this topic over the years. First stop should be the list archives. There are just too many possible wheel combinations and don't want to waste too much bandwidth on the same topic.

If you can't find info on the archives, you can browse through my alternative wheels page at:

Vanagon Cafe Alternative Wheels

I think Chris already mentioned the bolt pattern of 5 X 112mm. Offset is ET30-ET32. Find osmehitng close to that and you are in business. I wouldn't go wider than 8" at ET23 unless you are using adapters or spacers. Otherwise, the tires will not clear your slding door. Take care to observe that the wheel you select is rated for the weight of a Vanagon. Westies are about 500 lbs heavier than buses. Since you have an 85, I assume it is 2wd. You have bolts up front and lugnuts in back unless you have modified them. The studs in the rear and bolts up front are 14mm. Most stock Mercedes wheels that you will find in the correct offset will have lugholes for 12mm studs/bolts.

BenT Vanagon Cafe